What the adult students say about us:
- Extremely courteous and friendly. Very helpful-passionate about teaching Spanish.
- Nancy is the best language teacher I´ve ever had! She presents the material in a fun atmosphere that makes learning very enjoyable. She is wonderful!!!
- Welcoming, uses a variety of approaches to teach, ensure that students learn the material. Responsive to any questions or concerns.
- Nancy is a very pleasant person. She teaches very well. If you don’t understand she is more than willing to explain. I am very happy to have had her for a teacher.
- Mauricio take the time to explain when questions were asked. He always had time during the break or after class to help me understand if I had missed something.
- Mauricio was always prepared and well organized. He was always courteous and attentive.
- Mauricio is a very energetic teacher who keeps the class interesting. He doesn’t make you feel inferior when he’s correcting your mistakes.
- All the instructor were excellent, clear, enthusiastic, and informative.
- Very friendly, taught at our level. Gently pushed us to learn more. This helped with my pronunciation and confidence to speak Spanish.
- Christian is fun and engaging and gets us to break through “shy” barriers. I’ve found the music passion of the course very useful in breaking the ice and letting people be less self-conscious.
- Marianella has a lovely voice and an infectious energy. I enjoyed the musical portion very much.
- Both music teachers are quite fun and are both good at relaxing the class and getting the whole class involved
- Excellent learning environment.
- Is easy to get to and always well-lit and clean. It is a great environment for a night class.
- I´ve enjoyed my time in Spanish class and feel I´m learning a lot. I plan to continue onto the next level in the new year.
- Always a pleasure to attend, good facilities
- I love that I can learn Spanish at the same time as my daughter. I like the cultural celebrations.
- Fantastic location and lunches have been great.
- The school is a great community achievement and I love the way it brings together native speakers, 2nd or 3rd generation Canadians with Spanish language heritage, and others new to the language.
Thank you for your great feedback!
Gabriela Mistral School
With profound sadness I have to announce the passing of Juan Robles today, Monday August 8th 2016, at the Royal Alex Hospital in Edmonton, after a lengthy battle with cancer.
Juan was one of the funders of the school, the first Treasurer (position held for more than 10 years), and a friend to the school helping in many fundraising events.
Juan is survived by Aurora Aguilera, his common-law wife for more than 30 years. Aurora (also known as Loly) is also a founder of the school and was President of the Board of Directors for many years.
A reminder about the 2015/16 school year:
Classes will begin on Saturday, September 19th at 11AM for children and adults.
Adults’ classes for Tuesday will start Tuesday, September 15th at 6PM.
ADULT STUDENTS INFORMATION
Classes we offer:
Spanish 1, 2, 3, 4 (A1/A2) This link will take you to the outlines for the new curriculums.
Spanish 5 Conversation beginners (B1/B2)
Spanish club (C1/C2)
- Duration: 27 hours per session, 9 classes, 3 hours each.
- Days: Tuesday evenings ( 6pm to 9pm) or Saturday mornings (11am to 2pm)
Please see our CALENDAR for 2015-16 Fall, Winter and Spring sessions’ dates.
NO CLASSES ON LONG WEEKENDS!
Classes fees for Fall, Winter and Spring sessions: $ 220.
Only $ 600 if you pay in advance for all 3 sessions! Ask us about this option.
Seniors 65+: $ 190
We are seeking donations, which can be receipted for income tax purposes and will also acknowledged in our bulletins and Web site, if the donor wishes.
If you make a donation to our school, you will receive a non-refundable charitable tax credit when you complete your annual income tax return.
Follow THIS LINK for more information tax credit measurement.
By increasing your donations to a registered charity like the Gabriela Mistral Latin American Society, as an Alberta taxpayer, not only are you receiving an added tax benefit, but you are also giving back to your community. That’s a win/win situation for you and us!